Tuesday, October 30, 2007

HW 25: Iraq Uraq

After reading the foreword and introduction to Baghdad Burning by Ahdaf Souief and James Ridgeway I found it very interesting and it opened my eyes about what was really going on in Iraq today. The forward, written by Ahdaf Soueif, was a very brief description of the blog written by “Baghdad Burning” by Riverbend. Soueif tell us what we can expect when reading the book and states, “ Baghdad Burning makes painful reading. It also makes enjoyable - even fun- reading. It is certainly necessary reading.”(Soueif, ix) Riverbend’s blog talks about how she feels about the war, the effect it has on her family as well as the effects the war has on her country as well as her daily life. In the introduction Ridgeway tells us facts about what is happening in the war and how Iraq has advanced over the years. Ridgeway speaks about the background of Riverbend's culture, as well as informs us about the struggle Iraq was going through since the Gulf War up until the war that is currently going on. Reading the introduction and foreword to the book really helped me to understand what is going on in Iraq. I had never pictured or even thought about what life would be like with the war going on where I live. This gave me sympathy for the people living in Ira during the war and also has intrigued me to dive into the rest of the book.

No comments: