Thursday, September 20, 2007

HW 9: A Weblog Saved Your Life? Yeah Right

After reading the title "A Weblog Saved My Life Last Night" (Kline and Burstein 308-314) I was very curious about how this was possible. Ayelet Waldman explains how she wrote a suicide note on her blog, and it ultimately saved her life. People began responding to this note, reached out to her, and let her know she had a problem and she was not functioning clearly. Although I agree with Waldman to a point, I cannot accept her overall conclusion that blogging is amazing, affectionate and life changing. I do however agree with her statement "the blogosphere has given these people a sense of community" as referring to suicidal people. I believe that this is a beneficial way for these people to express their emotions and allow for others to give them advice. On the other hand, I do not think that people should be leaving suicide notes on blogs. Not only is writing in this form wrong but also what if a child were to get a hold of the blog and read it. People need to take into consideration what age groups might be reading what they write and not to expect to be able to blog as they please. Blogging as a daily routine I see no problem with, there just need to be limits and guidelines of what is and what is not acceptable.

2 comments:

Tracy Mendham said...

Is this HW 9?

Tracy Mendham said...

Good use of "agree and disagree" style of response.
The consideration of readers is an interesting issue--I guess there's always a tension between creative/aesthetic freedom and avoiding making readers uncomfortable.