Tuesday, September 25, 2007

HW 11: OhmyNews

After reading over all the blogs in Rebecca MacKinnon’s “Making Global Voices Heard”, I decided to look into OhmyNews at english.ohmynews.com. I thought this would be interesting to look at because MacKinnon described it as “a kind of online newspaper” and I figured it would be fun to look at. The site itself looks as if it were to be a regular news website such as CNN or NBC. There are many articles on the page that refer to events happening in other countries and things of the sort. The blog is made by professional editors who taking in submissions from the general public daily. One of the blogs is about how a Brazilian Samba was celebrated in Japan with sushi, which I found to be very interesting. MacKinnon’s description of the blog seems to be accurate to what the site is today. The site continues to have polls in the right hand column just as she mentioned in the text. In general the site is just the way that she had explained it. MacKinnon mentioned that the page featured information on politics, which remains accurate to this date as well. Of course, many people will probably disagree with this assertion that what MacKinnon wrote about the blog is not factual at this point in time. They may say this due to the fact that election information is not bombarding the entire site. I feel that her description compares exactly to what I thought I would see and what I saw.

1 comment:

Tracy Mendham said...

Nice description of blog and comparison to MacKinnon's discussion of it.